Maintenance of your air conditioner is an essential part of your routine home maintenance. Most often, this is done at the beginning of spring or summer, before the air-conditioner will be in use fulltime. Servicing your air-conditioner will help extend both it’s life and helps keep it operating at peak efficiency, thus reducing your utility bills.
What maintenance should be performed on my air-conditioner?
In addition to hiring a professional annually to service your air-conditioner, one essential step you can take to increase your air-conditioning unit operating at peak performance and increase its lifespan includes changing its filters regularly.
How often should I change the filter on my A/C?
The frequency of a/c filter changes varies based on your circumstances. For a vacation home in which your ac use may be infrequent, you may be able to change the filter as little as every 6 to 12 months. However, if pets are present, you should change the filter more often. In your primary home, if you have no pets, you should change it no less than every three months. A house that has a single pet requires changing your air filter more often; at least every 60 days. Should your household have multiple pets or people with allergies, you will likely need to replace it every 20 to 45 days.
What kind of service should I expect from a professional A/C Contractor?
According to the department of energy, your Air-Conditioning professional should do the following:
- Ensure your system has the correct amount of refrigerant.
- Test for any refrigerant leaks.
- When evacuating any refrigerant from your system, the a/c professional should capture it and dispose of it properly. It is critical that refrigerant not be illegally released into the atmosphere.
- Test all seal ducts for leaks in central air-conditioning systems.
- Measure airflow through the evaporator coil.
- Verify your heating and cooling systems cannot operate simultaneously, and that your electric control sequence is correct.
- Clean and tighten all electrical terminals and apply a non-conductive coating if needed.
- Oil the motors and check all belts for tightness and wear.
- Ensure the thermostat is accurate.
Additionally, cleaning the outdoor condenser and ensuring that is level is critical to ensure optimal performance. If your outdoor condenser is in an area subject to debris such as leaves, you should regularly remove it. Covering your condenser during the winter can equally help extend its life expectancy.
Your diligence in maintaining you’re a/c helps save you money over the long haul
Regular maintenance ensures you’re cooling unit operates without breakdowns that can require costly repairs or decrease its lifespan, and also provides for optimal performance, thus reducing your energy bills throughout the season. Additionally, performing this maintenance helps our planet in the form of reduced energy usage and improved air quality. At J and C Air-Conditioning Services, LLC, our registered technicians will help you keep your system running smoothly. Call today for a clean and check, today, to save thousands of dollars in repairs later!